Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Ahhhh Apple.

Apple are driving me mad. I got a new iBook recently and have two issues. They told me when I was buying the iBook that you could add memory to the existing memory later, as in there is a free slot. As it turns out, there is only one slot. So I have to buy memory and what is in the iBook is useless to me. Ahhhhhhhh.........

Anyway, my hard disk drive is hotter than hell. It is located in the bottom lefthand area of the iBook and it gets very warm. Phoned Apple. Over a crappy line the support guy explained to me that this was normal. Solution, turn the iBook off for 30 minutes every hour or so. Nice one. I guess this will be my first and last Apple product. And yes, I am one of those people who bought an iPod and then decided to try another Apple product.

What annoys me now is that there is nobody to complain to. The support people say there is nothing they can do. There is no contact information for customer care, either locally or globally. Messages to the Apple website never get answered. Anyway, that is life, my only regret now is that I recommended two friends to buy the same product and they have.

I have been looking about. I am guessing the hard disk in the iBook is just the standard 2.5" laptop disk. I believe the HDD has to be under 9.5mm in height. Next year I will get a 7200 rpm 80GB or maybe a 100GB. The HDD in the iBook is 4200 which is crap. I know from swapping in a faster disk with a regular laptop that this usually has a big impact. I see from various sites that this is a complicated process on an iBook as the HDD is buried deep.

Anyway......you live and learn (or get burned).

P.S. I found a tool called APM Tuner which has enabled me to stop the HDD from constantly trying to go offline. Reduces the noise to nothing!

No comments: